#2: How to Create Your First Ever Content Marketing Strategy With Julia McCoy
Hey folks, welcome to the second episode of the Content Love podcast! This whole show is probably one of the most outside-of-my-comfort-zone things I’ve done in a while (okay, except for the fact I left my full time job to be a freelance writer just 5 months ago!), and it’s SO exciting.
In this episode, I had the incredible opportunity to chat with Julia McCoy, a remarkable woman who founded Express Writer, a content marketing agency that has worked with over 5,000 clients all over the world. She’s also a published author with a new book out very soon, she hosts the Write Podcast, and she’s published pretty much everywhere on the Internet.
So we tackled the topic of establishing a content marketing strategy when you don’t have it yet (or when you thought you do, but it didn’t pan out well!). It’s hard when you don’t know what to do first, how to create content that will actually bring results after all that effort you put in, and even coming up with consistent topics week after week is a challenge on its own.
So listen in on my chat with Julia to learn all about:
- Why you need a content marketing strategy
- Why you’re in a good position if you’re just starting out with defining your content marketing strategy
- The four keys you need to define in your content marketing strategies
- The three main goals you can choose from as your content marketing goals, and which one you should start with
- How to research your audience, even when you have none
- What is the one best content type to start out with
- How to outline your first content topics by working backwards from your goals
- How to promote your content when you’re just getting started, organically and with a low investment
- How to approach measuring your content efforts and the importance of building a ‘net’ with your content marketing
Check out Julia’s resources:
- Get your hands on Julia’s brand new book, Practical Content Strategy & Marketing, the moment it’s launched!
- Check out her previous book, So You Think You Can Write?
- Turbocharge your content marketing in 5 days with mini-lessons from Julia’s all-access Practical Content Strategy Certification Course
- Follow Julia on Twitter and Facebook
- Check out Julia’s YouTube show
Links, tools and resources mentioned in this episode:
Thanks for listening!
I hope you learned something from this episode and you’re able to take action right away. Make sure to let me know what you think and how Julia’s tips worked out for you in practice. I can’t wait to hear from you and chat to you in the next episode!
Transcripts coming soon!
P.S. Pin this post to come back to it again later: