Hey all, welcome to session 11!
Here’s a confession: I never felt like I have enough skills to do PR. It’s a little bit intimidating to put yourself out there and face lots of potential rejections, and it’s also hard to really know where to get started and what to do first.
This is exactly why my guest in this episode is Brittney Lynn, a PR & online marketing strategist working with women entrepreneurs worldwide. She has almost 10 years of experience (how brilliant is that?!) working in the online marketing industry and has a passion for helping others grow their brand through strategic PR.
She also the hosts the Day in the Life podcast, which gives a glimpse into the daily lives of people from across the world who work in a variety of industries; you’re gonna want to listen to that, too! In this chat, she uncovered so many valuable tips and actions you can take right now to use your content to build your presence through PR.
Listen in on my chat with Brittney to learn all about:
- Why online PR matters, no matter how small or big your business or personal brand is
- The value of content marketing when it comes to PR (as opposed to just content or just PR) and why you can’t do just PR
- What you need to have defined in order to start doing your PR on your own: what you do, who you help, how you help them, why people should pick your product or service, your competitors and similar companies
- Why you should write content for that audience and pick one platform
- How to start pitching to specific media and how to use data to be specific in your pitches
- The importance of telling your story that drives your product/service and your business
- Which specifics about your audience and your competitors matter when you’re looking to niche the publications, podcasts, and blogs you want to pitch
- How to use free tools to take action with online PR, including Google Sheets, HARO, Boomerang, Gmail Canned Responses, Asana
- The importance of following up (psst… Brittney says that about 40% of the pitches she’s won for clients are due to following up!)
- Common mistakes to avoid when you’re pitching yourself
- Your first action to get started: know what you want to establish yourself as an expert in and align it with all your pitches
Check out Brittney’s resources & connect with her:
- Brittney’s website
- Connect with Brittney on her social media: Instagram, Twitter, Facebook
- Get her free PR goodies
Links, tools and resources mentioned in this episode:
- Brittney’s appearance in The Northwestern Mutual
- Help A Reporter Out
- Boomerang for Gmail
- Gmail Canned Responses
- The Art of Charm podcast
Thanks for listening!
Are you ready to start using PR to leverage your content to get in front of new audiences? Make sure to tweet me and let me know. I’d love to see any success stories you have, and I’m hoping to share mine very soon! Thanks so much for tuning in today 🙂
P.S. Transcripts coming soon!