#30: Insider Tips on Creativity For Data-Driven Marketers With Allen Gannett
In this episode, I am excited beyond words to share my learnings about creativity in the world of data-driven marketing and endless streams of content that needs to be produced. Ever feel like you need to create great content in order to show up for your audience, but you have no idea how to do that or even where to get started?
To learn all about this, I brought Allen Gannett as my guest today! He is the founder and CEO of TrackMaven, a marketing analytics firm whose clients have included Microsoft, Marriott, Saks Fifth Avenue, Home Depot, Aetna, Honda, and GE. He’s been on the “30 Under 30” lists for both Inc. and Forbes. And I finally get to share with you that his first book, The Creative Curve, is out June 12th!
This episode will help you learn so much about the creative process in marketing and writing and spark new ideas for you. Can’t wait for you to tune in!
Listen in on my chat with Allen to learn all about:
- Allen’s background and how his desire to give marketers insights necessary for storytelling resulted in him founding TrackMaven
- The myths and misunderstanding happening behind the idea of creativity, and why + how we can tackle this
- How TrackMaven grew so much with content
- The story of how TrackMaven ended up having a corgi as their logo and how they’re standing out
- The importance of having the right idea at the right time and the creative curve that represents our desire for novel and familiar things at the same time
- The valuable action of imitation in the creative process, the Franklin method, and the omelette example
- Kurt Vonnegut and the consistent pattern of story arcs and using them as a story baseline to spark creativity
- The four laws of the creative curve
- Consumption as one of the pillars and the underlying knowledge and wisdom that ideas come from
- The critical way to avoiding executing ideas that are too novel or too familiar
- The power of “the knowing voice”
- The importance of giving your brain new, raw material on a daily basis
Check out Allen’s resources & connect with him:
- Check out Allen’s book The Creative Curve on Amazon and TheCreativeCurve.com
- Learn about creativity, productivity and much more + sign up for Allen’s newsletter on Allen.xyz
- Connect with Allen on his LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook
- Check out TrackMaven and Maven The Corgi 🙂
Links, tools and resources mentioned in this episode:
- TrackMaven – Instagram Analytics: The Ultimate Guide for Marketers
- TrackMaven’s booth at the Content Marketing World event (with spaghetti!)
- Arcs of storytelling by Kurt Vonnegut
Thanks for listening!
I can’t wait to hear how this approach to creativity impacts your writing and your work as a marketer. I definitely know it makes a huge difference for me, and I can’t wait for the book to arrive so that I can this whole process up a notch! Transcript coming soon 🙂
P.S. Pin this so you can come back to it later: